Saturday, July 19, 2008

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!!

Am I getting old? I didn't think it was that long ago when I was a young women going to girls camp, and I would stay up all night long, and it never fazed me. Well I just had 4 days of it, and I'm exhausted! How did I use to do it, and still form sentences together properly? I think in this last week I've gotten like 5 hours of sleep, in case you were wondering, that's very very bad. The first night I had just fallen into my deep sleep when my precious little Beehives (that's a church term for 12-13 yr old girls) let out a few screams which I thought were one's to be desired from a scene in a thriller movie, I swear at the young age of 26 my heart skipped a few beats, once again, in case you were wondering, that's very very bad. The next night the girls were actually being quite reverent compared to the night before, it must have been the wrath they received, and of course the night that I couldn't hear them, one of the girls comes into my tent, waking me up at 2:30 in the morning, (me having gone to bed probably 1 hour prior), and informed me that one of the other girls had just thrown up in the tent, but a little good news was that part of it's contents made it outside the tent. So I stayed up with her rubbing her back while she was in the fetal position, waited patiently while she took a shower, knelt and said a little prayer with her, and then when I came to the conclusion that she was in fact actually sick and not just home sick, I got to drive her home at 5:00 in the morning, ya ya ya, I know your all thinking it, and yes it was very very bad! I hope your not thinking that I'm a big complainer and I hated every minute of it, (and yes I can use that term because I was almost awake for every minute), but I really did have a great time. There was a river that we were crazy enough to go tubing down, because of the cold factor not that there were white caps or anything. I gave my self a pretty good sized bruise on my hip where I was so blessed to run into a pointy rock, put a hole the size of a softball in my tube and slowly sank into the water up to my shoulders BUUUUUURRRRRR. It was really fun to float that river though over and over with good friends that you serve with, we had some great times in there. They also had a zip line, that was also really fun, I loved watching the girls giggle up until the point when they started climbing there way up the scaffolding, there facial expressions turned very somber, I loved it. As some of you may know, I'm the second counselor in the Young Women's Presidency, and I know that people were inspired to give me this calling and that I may be blessed with the opportunity to serve my Savior and these girls. They are truly an example to me in so many ways. I love my calling and the growth that is taking place as I serve others. I love the thought that I can affect there lives for the better, in ways that maybe there parents, and friends could not. As I sat around the camp fire for our testimony meeting, I was thinking about how in such a short time of having this calling I feel that I have taken on the burdens of my 13 little Beehives, then I thought of how my wonderful bishopric must feel with all of the members they need to watch over, and then from there I thought of my Savior, and the burdens that he did bear, and how that must have felt I cannot imagine. I'm so grateful for my Savior and his sacrifices for me, and for a Father in Heaven who truly loves me no matter what. Bottom line,we had a great time playing together, getting to know one another better, and strengthening our testimonies, and yes you can say that was a very very good thing! (sorry for the American Novel).
Here is our group before our hike.
Sam (one of my Beehives) and me on the hike.

Here is me after the zip line.

Here's Jill and me floating the river.

And the group after we lost 3 tubes on the river.

9 comments:

Alexis said...

I wish I had a YW leader like you! I and so glad you went to camp and had such a fun, positive attitude. One of your redeeming qualities that you can always make any bad situation fun! You have a darling personality. I enjoyed you comments at the end of your entry :-) Good luck recovering from camp!

The Kendall Family said...

Wow, it sounds like you had a fun and interesting time. Kaylee had fun too and I am truly grateful she has leaders like you to make it such a wonderful experience. Also, let Jamie know that she got a raspberry shake and loved it! I'm glad you are back safe and sound! You're the best! Love ya, Kina

Kendell's Crusaders said...

Looks like you had fun, sorry abut the early drive home :) I can't believe how big your ward is, we have like 10 Young Women in ours!

Aimee said...

Ahh, girls camp. Didn't love it, but I loved my leaders and I'm sure the girls are so happy to have you in their group. Glad you're back safe and sound.

sugaryfrogs.blogspot.com said...

Jani,
That is so funny I just got called last Sunday to be 2nd counselor in the YW's. If you have any tips or websites you use for ideas I am open to all the suggestions I can get! We've got camp in a few weeks. I hope you recover from all the late nights! I hope you were wearing a safety device when your inner tube deflated!:0)You will be such a wonderful example to those girlies! By the way it is so funny to see a Utah YW group compared to a NY Young Women's group! Yours is HUGE! We have maybe 10 total girls.

Rob and Bri said...

Wow Janica. I loved reading that. What inspiring insight. Isn't that great how the spirit teaches us cool little things like that that you know you wouldn't learn anywhere else. You're a great example and I can tell you're an awesome leader. Those girls are so lucky to have you. I really think the leaders make all the difference. Especially at camp. I'm glad you had a fun time. Love ya Bri

kaylynn said...

mom said....
I enjoyed reading your story of camp. You are a great person, Mom and Dad are very proud of you. Keep up the good work!

spenceandcass said...

Sounds like you had a fun time, despite the throw up and lack of sleep. You are very brave to go camping with Beehives.

Merrill Family said...

Hey girl!!! I hear ya about how exhausting Girls Camp can be. I was actually a little sad this year that I couldn't go. It's so good to see pics of you and Bryce. I'm glad all is well! Beware of when you join the land of parenthood-you might end up with 3 boys like me! hahahaha!